Saturday, October 13, 2007

Governor Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill (Again)

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed Assemblymember Mark Leno (D-San Francisco)'s gender-neutral marriage bill, again. Here's his veto message, issued Friday October 12.

To the Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 43 without my signature.
As I stated in vetoing similar legislation in 2005, I am proud
California is a leader in recognizing and respecting domestic
partnerships. I believe that all Californians are entitled to full
protection under the law and should not be discriminated against
based upon their sexual orientation. I support current domestic
partnership rights and will continue to vigorously defend and
enforce these rights.

In 2000, the voters approved Proposition 22, a challenge to which
is currently pending before the California Supreme Court. I
maintain my position that the appropriate resolution to this issue is
to allow the Court to rule on Proposition 22. The people of
California should then determine what, if any, statutory changes
are needed in response to the Court’s ruling.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin