Thursday, July 24, 2008

Federer Loses 1st Match Back After Wimbledon Loss


World #1 and 12-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer lost for the tenth time in 2008, this time to Frenchman (and World #22) Gilles Simon 2-6 7-5 6-4 in the 2nd round of the ATP Masters Series event in Montreal Canada. Simon (who won last week's ATP U.S. Open Series tournament in Indianapolis) was down 1-3 in the final set, which featured an unlikely 5 breaks of service in 10 games.

"The hardcourt season just started so it is not the end of the world but I wish I could have started better," Federer said. "I like this surface, I like this tournament, I have done well in the past here so it definitely hurts.

"I have to regroup and look forward. The bigger picture is the Olympic Games and the US Open and those are the places I really want to win so I have to make sure I am ready for that."

The 22nd-ranked Simon represented a tricky opponent for the rusty Federer, who had only resumed practice four days before arriving in Toronto and received a first-round bye.

[...]

"I was playing like I was in a dream," Simon said. "I just saw the ball and hit it as hard as possible."

[...]

After starting 2008 with a lead of 1,445 ranking points over the Spaniard [Rafael Nadal], an off-the-boil season which now includes 10 defeats in 53 matches has Federer facing the possibility of losing the top spot he has held for 234 weeks since 2004.

While Nadal cannot overtake him even with a second title in Canada, site of his first career hardcourt crown, the pressure is now intense on 12-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

Only a few hundred points will separate the leading pair if Nadal does well this week.

Some Rafa fans (and Raja haters) are predicting Federer will want to retire at the top of the rankings (like former World #1 Justine Henin did three months ago) which would probably mean he would have to do so sometime this year. They don't really understand Roger Federer. He has stated that he wants to play at Wimbledon during the Olympics in 2012 and I believe him. He is a mere 2 titles away from being declared the Greatest Of All Time--you don't get to that level without a little (or even a lot of) adversity. Pete Sampras on his way to 14 was demolished in two consecutive U.S. Open finals by Marat Safin (2000) and Lleyton Hewitt (2001) before winning his 14th major over Agassi in New York in 2002 (and immediately retired at the age of 31). Federer is currently 26 (turning 27) on August 8, 2008.
He may lose his World #1 ranking by his birthday (doubtful) but he will keep his eyes focussed on major titles #13, #14 and #15. And I still believe he will win the French Open. Go Roger!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet Gilles has been playing some very good tennis of late, as have other up-and-comers, and are catching on to Fed's weaknesses, which unlike you and many others, I feel include his serve. He does not have it to fall back on, unlike Roddick, who also seems to be in the same rut - he lost today to Cilic!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with Fed losing to Simon, the kid has game, but, to see him lose his #1 ranking to nadal would make me stop watching men's tennis. Yep, I'm one of those proud fans who hates nadal, and, on every level one can imagine! My disdain for him is to the point that I won't even watch him play, even if its against one of my favorites, which means I'll have to skip him and sexy boy Gasquet.

Go Roger, retire before giving it up to this guy, it would be just a shame to see you lose it to nadal of all the players.

Roddick? Come to the net Andy, that serve as your only weapon is the reason you haven't done well for years. He seemed to have tried under Connors, but, is now afraid again. The baseline battles is not for big guys IMO, since most are not speedy enough.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin