Friday, October 03, 2008

Federer Announces Indefinite Tennis Hiatus

Roger Federer shocked the tennis world this week by announcing that he was withdrawing from next week's Stockholm Open, and going further to say he was unsure when he would play again.

"2008 has been a tough year for me as I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year. I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the #1 ranking again. In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100% fit for the remainder of the year or next year. At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year. I apologize to the tennis fans in Sweden as I was looking forward to playing in Stockholm again. The country has produced so many incredible tennis players and the tournament has such a great history. I hope to be able to come back at some point in the future."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, had not heard this, but, he does need a break and a good rest to come back strong in 2009 and get that #1 ranking back!

Take your time Roger, your fans understand!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin