Thursday, April 02, 2009

2009 Hugo and Nebula Award Nominations Announced


As frequent readers of this blog know, I read a fair amount of science fiction and fantasy books. I tend to follow the nominees and usually try to read the Best Novel winners of the most prestigious awards in these genres, the Hugo Awards and the Nebula Awards.

The Hugo Award nominations are:
Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Morrow; Atlantic UK)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins; Bloomsbury UK)
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen; HarperVoyager UK)
Saturn’s Children by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit UK)
Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi (Tor)
The Nebula Award nominations are:
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Tor, Apr08)
Powers by Ursula K. Le Guin (Harcourt, Sep07)
Cauldron - Jack McDevitt (Ace, Nov07)
Brasyl - Ian McDonald (Pyr, May07)
Making Money - Terry Pratchett (Harper, Sep07)
Superpowers - David J. Schwartz (Three Rivers Press, Jun08)
Last year's winner of both the Hugo and Nebula award for Best Novel was The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. Unfortunately, I found it absolutely unreadable.

Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book has already won the very prestigious Newberry Medal, which is given to the best work in children's literature published in the last year.

Neal Stephenson's Anathem is probably the book to beat this year. I have previously read his cyberpunk novel Snow Crash (read MadProfessah review) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Stephenson is known for his huge novels and Anathem is no different. I have borrowed it from the library but there's no way I'm going to get through the whole thing before I need to return it.

I'm curious if other people have read any of the nominees and what they think about them, especially Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed "The Yiddish Policeman's Union." The novel is refreshingly different. In my personal tracking system I said: "A lot of loose ends at the conclusion, but still a very good read. Chabon occasionally shifts between present and past tense in his story telling, and that is a little disconcerting. Lots of 'Yiddish' terms, but a glossary is included in the book." I rated it to be "Very Good - Excellent."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin