Thursday, March 03, 2011

TOR.COM's Top 10 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books of the Decade

Tor.com has been running a poll of the best science fiction/fantasy books published between 2000-2010 (not really a decade) and now the results of the Top 10 are out:
  1. Old Man’s War by John Scalzi - 295 votes
  2. American Gods by Neil Gaiman - 270 votes
  3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - 231 votes
  4. Blindsight by Peter Watts - 221 votes
  5. Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey - 194 votes
  6. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - 179 votes
  7. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - 167 votes
  8. Anathem by Neal Stephenson - 141 votes
  9. Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - 125 votes
  10. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - 124 votes
Of these Top 10, the only ones I have not read is #4, #5 and #9. I actually tried reading Blindsight but could not get past the first chapter or so. I've only recently heard of Mistborn and Kushiel's Dart. They are both high fantasy novels. Since I generally prefer science fiction, they will be lower on my list to be read in the future. Currently, I'm in the middle of reading the Saga of the Pliocene War series by Julian May and looking forward to reading The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss in the next few weeks.

You can click on the highlighted titles to see my reviews of those books; I am still working on reviews for American Gods and A Storm of Swords.

I am pleased to see that so many books that I have liked on this list but I strongly disagree with the Top choice (I would probably place Rothfuss' book there if I was restricted to this list of 10). I'm also very surprised not to see any books by Peter F. Hamilton or Alastair Reynolds.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin