Wednesday, December 28, 2011

GODLESS WEDNESDAY: Ricky Gervais


Ricky Gervais appears on the cover of New Humanist magazine where he is very explicit about his godlessness.

Here's a delightful excerpt from the interview but you should really go there and read the entire thing:
Did you lose your faith or never have any?
I used to believe in God. The Christian one, that is. (There are a few thousand to choose from. But I was born in a country where the dominant religion was Christianity so I believed in that one. Isn't it weird how that always happens?) Luckily I was also interested in science and nature. And reason and logic. And honesty and truth. And equality and fairness. By the age of eight I was an atheist. (That word shouldn’t even exist. It shouldn’t be needed. But it does. And it is.)
You studied philosophy at university – which philosophical idea has turned out to be most useful?
A few spring to mind. Bertrand Russell said, “No one gossips about other people’s secret virtues.” That became more profound once I’d become famous. Ha Ha. And I love “There is no god higher than truth” – Mahatma Gandhi.
I wish there were more celebrities were open and honest about their atheism or agnosticism.

1 comment:

Bob said...

It is kinda refreshing, isn't it?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin