Wednesday, February 15, 2012

GODLESS WEDNESDAY: I Married An Atheist!


For today's edition of Godless Wednesday I point you to an amazingly well-written blog post about atheism which just so happens to have been written by my husband, at his blog sentientmeat.net. So, yes, I married an atheist!

Here's an excerpt from "Atheists Do Not Have Faith":

Atheist. I don’t believe in god. Believe is a verb, and I don’t do that verb with most people’s concept of God. Or if you like, belief is a kind of confidence, a sort of mental wager or opinion about some infinite being who typically:
  • Answers prayers
  • Demands tribute or worship
  • Exacts vengeance or judgment
  • New! Favors one religion over others, or over no religion
I say no to this wager. I think it’s a bad idea. I refuse it, I negate it. I withhold belief in it. I abstain from believing in god, praying to Him, or living my life in perpetual fear of His judgment. This abstention is enough to call myself an atheist. I don’t need faithin His nonexistence. That’s silly.
I’m not sure I’m right, but I’m pretty sure. I’ve evaluated all the reasons people give for believing in God—I believed in God for 20+ years, so you may be sure my evaluation was very thorough. I’ve had many, many spiritual experiences, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need God to explain these. Neuroscience, physics and other disciplines are enough. Science doesn’t have all the answers, but God doesn’t offer any better ones. If not science itself, then the assumptions behindscience are enough for me to frame all the stories I ever care to invest in with that wager called belief.
You should really read the entire piece.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin