Friday, May 11, 2012

Celebrity Friday (bonus): Sen. Reid On Marriage Equality


Harry Reid is the majority leader of the United States Senate and a Mormon. In light of President Obama's historic statement supporting marriage equality, Sen. Reid has joined the President on the side of equality:
“My personal belief is that marriage is between a man and a woman. But in a civil society, I believe that people should be able to marry whomever they want, and it’s no business of mine if two men or two women want to get married.  The idea that allowing two loving, committed people to marry would have any impact on my life, or on my family’s life, always struck me as absurd.
“In talking with my children and grandchildren, it has become clear to me they take marriage equality as a given. I have no doubt that their view will carry the future.
“I handled a fair amount of domestic relations work when I was a practicing lawyer, and it was all governed by state law.  I believe that is the proper place for this issue to be decided as well.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2012/05/senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-people-should-be-able-to-marry-whoever-they-want.html#storylink=cpy
I love the inclusion and re-statement that the idea that one person's marriage has an impact on someone else's life is absurd. I would love to have more public conversations about exactly this point among the people that oppose marriage equality. It's my belief that their main rationale for their belief is either based on religion or heterosexual supremacy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin