Thursday, December 13, 2012

Queer Quote: Atlanta Mayor Supports Marriage


Kasim Reed, the Mayor of Atlanta, has finally agreed to publicly support marriage equality and sign a resolution passed 11-2 by the Atlanta City Council affirming support for equal marriage rights for same sex couples which last week.

Mayor Reed issued a press release, which included this quote:
“Today marks an important day as I announce my support for marriage equality. It is well known that I have gone through a good bit of reflection on this issue, but listening to the stories of so many people that I know and care about has strengthened my belief that marriage is a fundamental right for everyone. Loving couples, regardless of their sexual orientation, should have the right to marry whomever they want. By signing this resolution, I pledge my support to marriage equality for same-sex couples, consistent with equal protection under the law provided under the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.”
Earlier this year, Mayor Reed had refused to endorse marriage equality, even after President Obama did so in May. Reed said:
“I respect President Obama’s decision to stand in support of marriage equality. I have fought hard for the rights of gays and lesbians my entire political career from protecting adoption rights for gay and lesbian families, to voting against Georgia’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage as a state senator, to serving as the state house sponsor for the only hate crimes bill ever passed in the state of Georgia.
“While I am still wrestling with my own personal beliefs on the issue of marriage, I deeply appreciate the contributions gays and lesbians make to our city every single day and I remain committed to Atlanta’s vibrant and diverse LGBT community.” 
A good day for Atlanta and openly gay city Councilman Alex Wan who sponsored the resolution.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin