Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Murray and Lendl End Coaching Relationship


It was announced today that Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl will no longer be working together as player and coach.

The statement on AndyMurray.com reads:
The partnership between Murray and Lendl brought an Olympic Gold Medal, US Open title and Wimbledon Championship.
“Working with Andy over the last two years has been a fantastic experience for me”, said Lendl. “He is a first class guy. Having helped him achieve his goal of winning major titles, I feel like it is time for me to concentrate on some of my own projects moving forward including playing more events around the world which I am really enjoying. I will always be in Andy’s corner and wish him nothing but great success as he too goes into a new phase of his career.”
Murray, who is returning from back surgery and preparing to defend his title in Miami, said “I’m eternally grateful to Ivan for all his hard work over the past two years, the most successful of my career so far. As a team, we’ve learned a lot and it will definitely be of benefit in the future. I’ll take some time with the team to consider the next steps and how we progress from here”.
Andy will lead Great Britain in the quarterfinals of the Davis Cup next month against Italy.
It's a somewhat curious time for this coaching change and also seems unusual in that other players like Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic have started working with former tennis greats (Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker, respectively) since the Murray-Lendl partnership started just over two years ago and brought Murray his two major wins (2013 Wimbledon and 2012 US Open).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin