Wednesday, December 31, 2014

GODLESS WEDNESDAY: Former Pastor Who Tried Living Without God For A Year Became Atheist


Somehow I missed the story of Pastor Ryan J. Bell, even though he is a local since Fuller Theological Seminary is in Pasadena, California. Bell made headlines when he announced that the former Seventh-Day Adventist Pastor and seminarian was going to live without God for a year as an experiment. Both of his Christian employers (Azusa Pacific University and Fuller) terminated his employment within days of Bell's announcement, but he received over $27,000 in donation after his plight was publicized on the Patheos website.

Well, the experiment is now over and Bell says "I don't think God exists." He said so in a recent interview on NPR
After a year, Bell tells NPR's Arun Rath, "I've looked at the majority of the arguments that I've been able to find for the existence of God, and on the question of God's existence or not, I have to say I don't find there to be a convincing case, in my view. 
"I don't think that God exists. I think that makes the most sense of the evidence that I have and my experience. But I don't think that's necessarily the most interesting thing about me." 
[...] 
"I think before, I wanted a closer relationship to God, and today I just want a closer relationship with reality," Bell says.
Don't you think there is something wrong with religion if it ends up being a choice between God and reality? Jus' sayin'!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin