Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kobe Bryant Fined $100K By NBA For Anti-Gay Slur


The blogs have been going pretty crazy with the news that Lakers star Kobe Bryant called an official a "f**ing fa**ot" after receiving a technical foul in a game last night.

Kobe issued a statement:
“What I said last night should not be taken literally. My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”
HRC was unhappy that this did not include an apology. Later NBA Commissioner David Stern issued a statement and fined Kobe $100,000.
“Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000. Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”
Hat/tip to TowleRoad.

1 comment:

Atlanta Roofing said...

I wish he had simply said, "I lost my temper I would rather I hadn't." And, then left it at that. He broke no law. If the commish fined him, fine, but no apology. I really don't believe that the big sponsors of NBA basketball would have stopped spending money on the NBA if this Megastar of bb had left it at that. I would have loved to have seen that happen. Someday, someone will show some balls.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin