Thursday, September 19, 2013

Queer Quote: Famous NYC DJ "Mr. Cee" Comes Out


Mr. Cee is a very famous dee-jay on one of New York City's hit radio stations, HOT-97. There have been rumors about his sexuality because he had been repeatedly arrested for soliciting transgender prostitutes.

Last week the story came to a head when he resigned suddenly from his position and then rescinded that resignation the next day. Then this week he came out as a gay man (although he never actually says those words in the video) by recording a PSA for AIDS Healthcare Foundation.


In it he says:
“The decision I made this week to open up about my sexuality has definitely been the most difficult thing that I have ever had to do in my life. But I felt like this was the time for me to do it personally and professionally. For me, I felt worried about how my family would be affected, how my coworkers and my friends and even my fans would be affected by this decision because in this hip-hop community of ours, it’s not cool to be gay.”
This excerpt is today's Queer Quote and the Mr. Cee episode is a fascinating check in on the evolution of hip-hop's treatment of homosexuality. Combined with Macklemore & Lewis's hit music video "Same Love" (which literally has tens of millions of views on YouTube) it shows that the notion that homosexuality and hip-hop are antithetical to each other is changing, and that is a good thing!

hat/tip to TowleRoad

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin