Saturday, September 21, 2013

Transgender Teen Voted Homecoming Queen At SoCal High School


An interesting LGBT landmark occurred in Southern California yesterday. A 16-year-old transgender girl named Cassidy Lynn Campbell was voted homecoming queen at a local Southern California high school.
Cassidy Lynn Campbell broke down in tears Friday night when she learned that she had been crowned homecoming queen. 
The senior at Marina High School in Huntington Beach was born male but told The Times she always felt like a girl. In high school, she began taking hormone blockers and estrogen injections prescribed by an endocrinologist and made the transition to living as a girl. 
She decided to run for homecoming queen, in part, to make a statement. 
"If I win it would mean that the school recognizes me as the gender I always felt I was," Cassidy, 16, told The Times before the election. 
"But with all the attention, I realized it's bigger than me," she said. "I'm doing this for the kids who can't be themselves."
She may be the first but will almost certainly not be the last transgender homecoming queen. As I've said before, the more people realize that gender is not a binary phenomenon, the more progress will be made for LGBT equality, so I see this as a big step forward for LGBT rights.

Hat/tip to Wonder Man

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin