Below are the actual nominations for the 87th annual Academy Awards. You can compare the actual nominations to my predicted nominations from yesterday.
Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
The Theory of Everything
Clint Eastwood, American Sniper
- Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
- Richard Linklater, Boyhood
- Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ana Duvernay, Selma
- Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game
Amy Adams, Big Eyes
- Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night
- Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
- Julianne Moore, Still Alice
- Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
- Reese Witherspoon, Wild
4 of 5 predictions correct. I had actually gone back and forth between Cotillard and Adams for the last slot and just picked the wrong one at the last moment.
- Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
- Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Michael Keaton, Birdman
Mathew Oyelowo, Selma
- Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
- Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
3 of 5 predictions correct. I had intended to include Redmayne in the Selma slot.
- Emma Stone, Birdman
- Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
- Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
- Meryl Streep, Into The Woods
Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer
- Laura Dern, Wild
4 of 5 predictions correct. I had really hoped that the academy would recognize Swinton's amazing work in Snowpiercer.
- Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Alfred Molina, Love is Strange
- Edward Norton, Birdman
- Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
- J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
- Robert Duvall, The Judge
4 of 5 predictions correct. I underestimated the Academy's love for Duvall.
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
The LEGO Movie
4 of 5 predictions correct. I had really thought that the Academy would recognize the surprising brilliance of The LEGO Movie.
- American Sniper
- The Imitation Game
- Inherent Vice
- The Theory of Everything
4 of 5 predictions correct. I was convinced that The Academy would recognize the brilliance of Gillian Flynn's adaptation of her own book Gone Girl but I completely underestimated the mutual antipathy between David Fincher and Oscar voters.
Overall I predicted 26 of 35 correct (74%) of the top 7 categories. If you consider the that I got 7 of the 8 Best Picture nominations correct then my percentage goes up to 76.7%.
- Birdman (10) Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel (9)
- Boyhood (9) The Imitation Game (8)
- The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything (7) The Theory of Everything, Boyhood, American Sniper (6)
- Selma, Gone Girl, Interstellar, American Sniper, The Grand Budapest Hotel (5) Interstellar, Foxcatcher (5)