Saturday, February 21, 2015

2015 Nebula Award Nominations Announced!


The nominations for the Nebula Awards have been announced and there are some surprises:

  • The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison (Tor)
  • Trial by Fire, Charles E. Gannon (Baen)
  • Ancillary Sword, Ann Leckie (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
  • The Three-Body Problem, Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu (Tor)
  • Coming Home, Jack McDevitt (Ace)
  • Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer (FSG Originals; Fourth Estate; HarperCollins Canada)
Nominations for Ann Leckie's Ancillary Sword was expected, since the first book in the series (Ancillary Justice) won the Hugo-Nebula double last year. Curiously the only fantasy book on the list is Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor (which I tried to read earlier this year and sadly I could not finish it.) I'm very surprised City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett was not on the list. I've been thinking about getting The Three-Body Problem for quite awhile; it is hard science fiction and this nomination increases the odds I will buy it soon.

I have never even heard of Trial By Fire, which like Leckie's work, is Book 2 in a trilogy, called Tales of the Terran Republic.

I read Coming Home by Jack McDevitt and I don't think it is one of his better outings in the Alex Benedict/Chase Tolpath series, but apparently the guy is a Nebula favorite (this is his 12th Best Novel nomination!)

Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation is the first book in his Southern Reach trilogy. It is very short but I read about half of the book and it did not grab me either.

My hope is that Leckie wins again, although I would be happy with Liu winning also.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin