Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Justine Henin Retires From Tennis (Again)




On Wednesday, 7-time major champion Justine Henin announced her retirement from tennis for the second time. Henin had previously retired on May 14, 2008 but announced the end of her retirement 18 months later on Septermber 22, 2009. Suspicious tennis fans noted that the duration of her "retirement" closely matched the duration of a fine would receive for a doping violation. That being said, Justine has never failed a drug test as far as I know.

From USA Today:

"The past few weeks, there was a little bit more pain every day, but I thought my willpower would prevail. Today, the tests and my doctors are adamant," Henin said.
She was ranked No. 1 when she abruptly announced her retirement in 2008, only to return 20 months later and reach last year's Australian Open final. She partially tore a ligament in the elbow in a tumble at Wimbledon last year and hasn't been the same since.
"It is clear now that I have to accept that my career ends for good," said Henin, currently ranked No. 13. "Even if it is hard, very hard, at a time when I came back with enormous fighting spirit."
Somehow I think that her Belgian compatriot will not be following her example. Wouldn't it be something if Kim Clijsters could match Justine's 7 majors before her retirement next year?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin