Friday, July 06, 2012

Celebrity Friday: Anderson Cooper Comes Out


Anderson Cooper, the CNN reporter/news anchor and daytime television talk-show host, has officially acknowledged his homosexuality in an email to well-known openly gay blogger Andrew Sullivan that was published on Monday July 2.
I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand. 
The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud. 
I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.
Of course it had long been known in most gay and media circles that the 45-year-old, blue-eyed hunk was gay, and he had often been photographed with his boyfriend Benjamin Maisani around New York City where they both live.

Congratulations, Anderson!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin