Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Queer Quote: Cory Booker Responds To Speculation He's Gay


Democratic U.S. Senate candidate from New Jersey and current Newark mayor Cory Booker gave an interview to the Washington Post yesterday where he responded to question about his status as a 44-year-old single Black man leading to speculation he might be gay with the following remark, which is today's Queer Quote:
"And people who think I’m gay, some part of me thinks it’s wonderful. Because I want to challenge people on their homophobia. I love seeing on Twitter when someone says I’m gay, and I say, ‘So what does it matter if I am? So be it. I hope you are not voting for me because you are making the presumption that I’m straight.’ "
That being said, the article does go on to quote Booker discussing his dates with women, so presumably he is heterosexual. Regardless, it is very cool to see a response to inquiries about  a public figure's sexual orientation which does not stigmatize homosexuality.

Booker is a strong LGBT ally and has supported marriage equality for years. If he wins the special election to the United States senate in October, he will be a great addition to the LGBT Equality caucus.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin