- “The Crown” (Netflix)
- “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
- “Westworld” (HBO)
- “Stranger Things” (Netflix)
- “This Is Us” (NBC)
- “Better Call Saul” (AMC)
- “House of Cards” (Netflix)
This is the first season of Westworld, The Crown, This Is Us, Stranger Things and The Handmaid's Tale. I have watched all of these shows but I am a season behind Better Call Saul and House of Cards. To me, the show that had the most impact on my emotionally was The Handmaid's Tale, despite the fact that it is almost impossible to get through an episode of This Is Us without weeping. The most creative of the shows on this list is Stranger Things while The Crown is the guiltiest pleasure. The show I am most looking forward to seeing the next season of is Westworld. What I'm trying to say is that basically every show on this list has a good reason to win.
SHOULD WIN: The Handmaid's Tale.
WILL WIN: This Is Us.
- Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us” (NBC)
- Matthew Rhys, “The Americans” (FX)
- Kevin Spacey, “House of Cards” (Netflix)
- Liev Schreiber, “Ray Donovan” (Showtime)
- Anthony Hopkins, “Westworld” (HBO)
- Milo Ventimiglia, “This Is Us” (NBC)
- Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul” (AMC)
SHOULD WIN: Sterling K. Brown.
WILL WIN: Sterling K. Brown.
- Claire Foy, “The Crown” (Netflix)
- Keri Russell, “The Americans” (FX)
- Elisabeth Moss, “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
- Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder” (ABC)
- Robin Wright, “House of Cards” (Netflix)
- Evan Rachel Wood, “Westworld” (HBO)
SHOULD WIN: Elisabeth Moss.
WILL WIN: Viola Davis.
The nominees in this category are Atlanta and Master of None, two comedies helmed by two comedians of color, Donald Glover and Aziz Ansari. I have never seen an episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but I know that Tina Fey is an executive producer and people rave about it. I have seen Veep, Silicon Valley, Black-ish and Modern Family but have not seen all of the latest season of each of these shows. Veep ended the dominance of Modern Family last year and is expected to do so again. I have been watching episodes of Black-ish on flights and have gained grudging respect for the show.
SHOULD WIN: Black-ish.WILL WIN: Veep.
Outstanding lead actor in a comedy series
- Donald Glover, “Atlanta” (FX)
- Anthony Anderson, “Blackish” (ABC)
- Jeffrey Tambor, “Transparent” (Amazon)
- Aziz Ansari, “Master of None” (Netflix)
- William H. Macy, “Shameless” (Showtime)
- Zach Galifianakis, “Baskets” (FX)
SHOULD WIN: Donald Glover.WILL WIN: Jeffrey Tambor.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “Veep” (HBO)
- Tracee Ellis Ross, “Black-ish” (ABC)
- Lily Tomlin, “Grace and Frankie” (Netflix)
- Jane Fonda, “Grace and Frankie” (Netflix)
- Ellie Kemper, “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” (Netflix)
- Allison Janney, “Mom” (CBS)
- Pamela Adlon, “Better Things” (FX)
SHOULD WIN: Tracee Ellis Ross.
WILL WIN: Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Outstanding limited series
- “The Night Of” (HBO)
- “Big Little Lies” (HBO)
- “Fargo” (FX)
- “Feud: Bette and Joan” (FX)
- “Genius” (National Geographic)
I quite enjoyed watching The Night Of last fall and Riz Ahmed and John Turturro were riveting. But Big Little Lies was quite compelling and fascinating to watch Oscar-calibre performances from Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern and Shailene Woodley. Fargo's 3rd season was well below the extremely high level set by the first two seasons.
SHOULD WIN: The Night Of.
WILL WIN: Big Little Lies.