Friday, April 24, 2015

Patrik-Ian Polk's Adaptation Of Black Gay Classic Blackbird Opening TODAY


I'm very excited to report that Patrik-Ian Polk's Blackbird is finally getting a cinematic release today more than a year after its premiere at the Pan-African Film Festival in Los Angeles last year (which I attended). It was #10 on my Best Films of 2014 list.

Blackbird will be opening in these theaters in  Los Angeles, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and New York City today:

  • Atlanta AMC Phipps Plaza AMC Southlake Pavilion 
  • Los Angeles AMC Town Center 8 TCL Chinese Theatre Los Angeles Cinemark 18 
  • Washington DC City Cinemas Angelika Pop UP DC ArcLight Bethesda 
  • New York City AMC Village AMC Empire 25
  • San Francisco AMC Metreon
NPR's popular Morning Edition ran a story about the film today, discussing it's association with Black billionaire Robert Johnson (the funder of Black Entertainment Television) and his new "Black Netflix" online service called Urban Movie Channel. 

I'm just excited that this very good film, with central Black gay characters based on a seminal Black gay novel (Larry Duplechan's Blackbird) is finally getting out to the masses.  I've seen it twice and I may see it again! I strongly encourage you to check it out this weekend!

Here's the trailer:

Hat/tip to Waddie G!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin