Thursday, October 15, 2015

QUEER QUOTE: Rand Paul Says LGBT Civil Rights Are 'Difficult'


The LGBT blogosphere reacted with surprise and dismay at a statement made by GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul which appears to say that if LGBT people don't want to be subject to employment discrimination then they should stay in the closet.

The statement he made is today's Queer Quote:
“I think really the things you do in your house, if you could just leave those in your house, they wouldn’t have to be part of the workplace, to tell you the truth,” Paul replied. The candidate continued to say the question of whether employers can fire someone for being gay is “difficult” because making additional protected classes would enable LGBT people to sue employers. “I don’t know that we need to keep adding to different classifications to say the government needs to be involved in hiring and firing,” Paul said. “I think society is rapidly changing, and if you are gay, there are plenty of places that will hire you.”
Disapproving reaction was swift, with probably the best response coming from Hillary Clinton:

Senator Paul (R-KY) tried to "clarify" his statement today on CNN but didn't really change his position that denies the viability of LGBT civil rights:
"I don’t think anybody should be fired for being gay," Paul told Wolf Blitzer. "I do also, though, believe that your personal life should be personal and shouldn’t affect anyone firing you. So, I don’t think the decision whether to hire or fire you should be based on things from your personal life." 
[...] 
"I do worry about a workplace where, every sort of classification of person then becomes something where, 'Oh, I lost my job, maybe then I'll sue because I also happen to be gay.'" 
"It’s always 'he said, she said,'" Paul claimed. "Nobody puts signs up saying that. If they do, then I think you would have an action or a cause for action. What I’m saying is I think it should not enter into the workplace in the sense that you shouldn’t be hired or fired because you’re gay."
Notice how he also impugns the character of anyone person who tries to enforce their civil rights by filing a lawsuit that claims they have been fired due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Hat/tip to The New Civil Rights Movement

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin