Saturday, January 24, 2009

FOOD REVIEW: Bulan Thai (Silver Lake, Los Angeles)

4114 Santa Monica Blvd (at Sunset Blvd)


pad thai


"chicken" pineapple fried rice



"I can't believe it's not flesh!" I exclaimed as I bit into my pineapple chicken fried rice at Bulan Thai Vegetarian Kitchen (4114 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90029; 323-913-1488) in Silver Lake. My friend just nodded wisely and said "I told you so!" He had suggested we come here for a business lunch and I had been reluctant, since I am most definitely a carnivore.


"Do they have shrimp?" I asked.

"No, they are a completely vegetarian restaurant" he replied.

"Wow," I said. "Hardcore."

"But, believe me," he said, "you will think you are eating meat. It's
incredible."

"Mmmm, hmmmm." I murmured, disbelievingly.

My friend was right. Somehow the wizards in the kitchen at BulanThai are able to cook their tofu so that it has the taste, consistency and texture of chicken. TASTY chicken! It has to be experienced to be believed. He had the pad thai, that canonical Thai dish which is on every Thai restaurant's menu. It was also excellent. I am eager to come back and explore the rest of what Bulan Thai vegetarian restaurant has to offer! My friend says the "beef" is ridonculous. I can't wait.


OVERALL GRADE: A.


SERVICE: A.

VALUE: A-.

FOOD: A.

AMBIANCE: A.

2 comments:

DownWithTyranny said...

Any idea what kind of oil they used to cook the stuff in? Healthwise, that's usually even worse for you in Asian cooking than meat. And-- maybe this is asking too much-- do they use organic vegetables? Believe it or not, I actually found some healthy-oriented veggie restaurants in Bangkok, including a wonderful organic one, Amaranth.

Anonymous said...

For the carnivore in the rest of us, had dinner last Saturday night in Hollywood at Jitlada - exceedingly wonderful seafood dishes, and one LAPD officer that would have provided an ideal dessert!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin