Sunday, January 04, 2009

FOOD REVIEW: Cashion's Eat Place (Adams Morgan, D.C.)

soft-scrambled eggs, applewood-smoked bacon,
sauteed breakfast potatoes, $10.






MadProfessah is in Washington, D.C. for the 2009 Joint Math Meetings and decided to have brunch at Cashion's Eat Place (1819 Columbia Rd NW, Washington DC 20009; 202-797-1819) on the basis of several posititve recommendations on yelp.com.

Thanks to my lovely Apple IPhone 3G I was able to discover that the restaurant was a mere 10 minute walk from my hotel and it was actually not very cold out at 1:30pm on a Sunday.
Cashion's has a very fancy interior (see pictures) that can be somewhat intimidating but the staff is very friendly and the service is excellent. Although many yelp-ers were commenting about the cornmeal waffles with pecan butter and cranberry sauce I was looking for something a bit more basic, so I ordered the eggs (soft scrambled with a touch of gruyere) which came with applewood smoked bacon (another item on the menu several people at yelp was worth the $4.95 as a side dish alone) and some freshly squeezed orange juice. Interestingly, the menu offered duck eggs for $2 more but my waitress had never tried them (!) and couldn't really give me any insight as to what I'd be getting for the $2 difference in price. (Note to wait staff at restaurants: you should always have tried everything on a menu, especially when it only contains less than 6 different items!) My choice came with the obligatory breakfast potatoes which I usually ignore.

Anyway, the food arrived promptly and was actually pretty fantastic, though I was somewhat disappointed with the bread that showed up on the table. It was some kind of thick-crusted country loaf cut into odd-shapes that was neither warm nor soft but oddly chewy/tough. The eggs and the bacon were absolutely amazing (perfectly cooked) and the freshly squeezed orange juice was nice and moderately sized for $4.95. The biggest surprise was the breakfast potatoes. Usually I hate breakfast potatoes because they are too hard and just bland but these were sauteed in butter and just the right size so that they were very flavorful bite-size morsels. I would definitely come back and try other things on Cashion's menu.

The whole thing is not cheap, costing $16 for essentially eggs with bacon and breakfast potatoes but it is excellent food and the ambiance is great. Hopefully the Dean will approve the expense since I did have to eat while I was on a business trip!
OVERALL GRADE: A-.
AMBIANCE: A+.
SERVICE: A.
VALUE: C.
FOOD: A+.
Read my Yelp review of Cashion's Eat Place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try cubing and sauteing Yukon yellow potatoes and with a few rosemary leaves (fresh or dried), salt, and pepper in olive oil on low heat. Stir/toss occasionally.

The Yukons have a subtle sweet flavor that combines really well with the rosemary.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin