Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vermont Republican Governor Announces Veto Threat


This just in! Governor Jim Douglas of Maine Vermont has finally announced his position on the marriage equality bill flying through his state's legislature. He intends to veto it (audio). The Burlington Free-Press reports:
"I believe our civil union law serves Vermont well ..." Douglas told a gathering of reporters and onlookers at a hastily called news conference in the Pavilion Building. "I believe that marriage should remain between a man and a woman. ... I'm announcing that I intend to veto this legislation when it reaches my desk."

[...]

"The speculation about my decision has added to the anxiety of the moment, and further diverts attention from our most pressing issues, and I cannot allow that to happen," he said.

Should the bill pass the House, and should Douglas follow through on his promise to veto the measure, the House can re-convene to try to override that veto. Douglas spoke of that possibility bluntly.

"On such an intensely divisive issue as this, I expect all members will vote as their individual conscience dictates and in the best interest of their districts, and not as political leadership requires," he said. "That said, I'm sure that legislative leaders would not have advanced this bill if they didn't have the votes to override a veto. I will accept the outcome of their vote, either way."

To override a veto, proponents of the measure would need to collect 100 votes in the 150-member chamber, constituting a 2/3 majority.
The marriage equality bill passed by a veto-proof majority in the Senate on Tuesday but is unlikely to do so in the House.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's the Governor of Vermont, not Maine!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin