Monday, February 14, 2005

Grammy Awards Update

So, I previously predicted Ray Charles would win in whatever category he was nominated, and that came true last night, as he posthumously won 6 Grammys, bringing him to a lifetime total of 18 (tied for eighth all-time). My overall accuracy rate was 2 out of 4. I think this does indicate that Jamie Foxx will be picking up the Oscar for "Ray" in two weeks at the Oscars. Ray Charles' career-ending collection of duets with stars like Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Johnny Mathis, Gladys Knight, et cetera called Genius Loves Company won Album of the Year and the duet with Norah Jones won Record of the Year.

As usual, there some surprises, both unpleasant and pleasant: Maroon 5 (Mediocre 5?) won Best New Artist (beating out both Kanye West and Joss Stone). John Mayer won Best Song (I'm only complaining because he beat out Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You"). However, Jill Scott won a Best Urban/Alternative Grammy for "Cross My Mind" from her amazing Beautifully Human album. Prince (!!) won his first (and second) Grammys for his Musicology album and the track "Call My Name." People hate on Britney, but "Toxic" deservedly won for Best Dance recording.

1 comment:

Apuuli said...

Maroon who? I can't say i actually know what this group sounds like, or how good this album is. I do know that Kanye West's album not only produced numerous top tracks and opened the door for more spiritual/religious (and positive) messages in popular music, but it is also an amazingly well organized album. The album is packed with great messages hidden among the smack talk that sells in the hip-hop world. I think the only reason this album did not win was because Outkast won last year, and, well, we can't have Hip-Hop taking over the best album category, now can we.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin