Saturday, February 03, 2007

Senator Boxer Announces Re-election Campaign for 2010

As reported on Calitics and DailyKos yesterday, United States Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) has announced that she is indeed running for re-election in 2010. This is significant because this is the next election where statewide constitutional officers (i.e. Governor, Lieutenant Governor, et cetera) will be decided. Currently Arnold Schwarzenegger is termed out and can not run for re-election. The next available higher office he can seek is Boxer's United States Senate seat. However, Boxer by announcing so early is channeling Jennifer Hudson by saying "And I Tell You I Am Not Going":

I want you to be the first to know: I'm running!

No, not for President, but for re-election to the United States Senate when my term expires in 2010. The Senate is so important, and I am so proud that the people of California have sent me there three times.

Why I am starting now? Because there are already many rumors and reports that my Republican friends still can't believe I'm in the Senate and are just waiting to force me out of the race or, failing that, overwhelm us with resources.

So we are doing what we must -- declaring early and starting the fundraising work that is an absolute necessity to hold on to this critical California seat, a Senate seat which has been a constant voice for peace, the environment, and all the priorities that keep the American dream alive.
By announcing early, Boxer is putting potential primary challenger sand Republican opponents like the Governator on notice that "there's no other place [she] wants to be."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin