Today, June 27th, is National HIV Testing Day. 2011 is also the 30th year of the AIDS epidemic, which was first identified in Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles County Department of Health has distributed "30 Years. 30 Reasons To Get Tested" on a website called EraseDoubt
1. I didn’t use a condom.
2. I thought we were monogamous, but I was wrong.
3. My boyfriend and I want to share our results with each other.
4. If I know my status, I can move on with my life.
5. I know what I did last summer. I just don’t remember who.
6. I’ve had an STD and I’m more vulnerable to contracting HIV.
7. I want to have kids and need to know how to protect my baby.
8. I respect myself. I respect my partner.
9. I’d be lying if I told you that I normally don’t hook up.
10. I shared needles back in my party days.
11. I’ve had multiple sex partners.
12. I thought he would be more than a one night stand, but he wasn’t.
13. I can no longer use my fear of needles as an excuse not to get tested because there are needle free options now.
14. We should have talked about it and not just assumed we were both HIV negative.
15. Just because.
16. My husband had an affair and I just need to be sure.
17. My blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and diet aren’t the only things I should be worried about.
18. It would bother me if I gave someone HIV.
19. I don’t remember his name and who knows what else I don’t know about him.
20. He said the condom wasn’t big enough and I believed him, so we didn’t use it.
21. I shared needles getting my tattoos and piercings.
22. I’m out, proud and sexually active.
23. In about 20 minutes or so, I can finally stop worrying and just know.
24. One thing led to another and another…
25. I love him enough to know my status.
26. He said using a condom would ruin the mood.
27. It’s been 6 months since my last test, so it’s time.
28. Too many margaritas, a few more tequila shots, sneaking out of the club with what’s his name, and a night I don’t really remember.
29. My boyfriend said he would get one too.
30. Whatever the HIV test result, I know that I’ll be okay.Get Tested. Know Your Status. Erase Doubt!