Wednesday, January 01, 2014

QUEER QUOTE: Charlie Crist, Previously Outed As Gay, Apologizes For Anti-Gay Actions


Charlie Crist is the former Republican Governor of Florida who is running for Governor again, this time as a Democrat. He was a key subject of the film Outrage about closeted gay politicians.
When he was a Republican, Gov. Crist frequently expressed anti-LGBT sentiments and supported
anti-LGBT public policies.

However, he gave an interview to a Florida-based LGBT media outlet called Watermark which contains statements from Gov. Crist for today's Queer Quote. Interestingly, Crist apologizes for his previous anti-gay behavior.
You’ve recently articulated support for marriage equality, adoption rights, employment non-discrimination protections… pretty much all the acknowledged ingredients of full LGBT equality. At the same time, I think it’s legitimate for members of the LGBT community to be skeptical.
When you first ran for governor in 2006, you said that a ban on same-sex marriage was unnecessary, but then you signed a petition to place Amendment 2 [banning same-sex marriage] on the ballot…
…and I’m sorry. I’m sorry I did that. It was a mistake. I was wrong. Please forgive me.
I appreciate that, but I want to make sure I spell this out in full. After you signed the petition you said Amendment 2 wasn’t an issue that moved you, but then you ended up voting for it, saying you believed in it. Just three years ago, when you were running for the Senate as a Republican, you told CNN that you believed that “marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman.” And just three years ago, when talking about gay adoption, you expressed a belief that traditional families are best…
Tom… I’m sorry. I’m sorry.
He says he's being honest now but how can the people of Florida believe him when they can not even believe he is straight?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin