Wednesday, January 22, 2014

2014 AUS OPEN: Double Surprise! Federer Beats Murray, Aggie beats Vika!



In two more surprising results on the hard courts in Melbourne, Australia (following defending champion Novak Djokovic's loss), World #6 Roger Federer upset World #4 Andy Murray and World #5 Agnieska Radwanska upset World #2 Victoria Azarenka in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open.

I had predicted neither of these results, in my men's quarterfinals predictions where I was right 1 out of 4 times (Rafael Nadal d. Grigor Dimitrov) nor in my women's quarterfinal predictions, where I was right 1 of 4 times (Li Na d. Flavia Pennetta).

I am not unhappy with these results. I think it shows that rankings do not always mean anything, and even when one person leads a match-up, as in Vika-Aga (13-2), you never know what can happen. Hopefully, Federer can take this to heart as he plays Rafa for the 33rd time in the semifinals. where he trails 10-22, and lost in 4 sets to the Spaniard at this stage in 2012 and in the final of 2009. It's hard to argue that Federer now is playing better than Federer then and that Nadal now is worse than Nadal then. But, at least on hard courts Federer has his best chance of making another major final, where he would be favored against whomever he plays: Tomas Berdych or Stanislas Wawrinka.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin