Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Should Lawrence King's Killer Be Tried As An Adult?

There's a big debate going on today at Joe.My.God's blog about whether the 14-year old killer of young gay boy Lawrence King should be tried as an adult ot not. A coalition of dozens of LGBT groups have sent a letter asking for eniency for Brandon McInerney who walked into an 8am computer lab and fatally shot his 15-year-old schoolmate in the head on Tuesday February12 .

Mad Professah's comment on te matter is below:
This is interesting.

When the story first came out and I heard thta he committed the act two weeks after hos 14th birthday and would be treated as an adult I thought "Oopsie--bad luck for him! Good riddance to bad rubbish" (O.k. I didn't really think that in thiose very words!)

But I did support the position. Now, I'm not so sure. I am opposed to reinforcing the menatlity which leads the US to having such a huge Prison-Industrial complex in the first place, so I would have signed the letter by the other Queer groups supporting treating the killer in the JUVENILE justice system.

The vast majority of the nearly 100 comments on Joe.My.God's blog are punitive towards the killer with phrases like "fry him" not uncommon.

1 comment:

Wonder Man said...

I think he shouldn't be tried as a adult. He needs deep counseling and serious time in the juvenile justice system

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin