Monday, April 07, 2008

Junot Diaz Wins Pulitzer Prize

The Pulitzer Prizes were announced today, and Junot Diaz won the prize for Fiction for his first novel, the widely praised The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, one of Mad Professah's favorite books of 2007.

Although I read the book during my trip to Italy earlier this year, I have been too busy to publish my review to this blog because I want to do the book justice. Suffice it to say, if you have any interest in science fiction, fantasy, the Caribbean, northern New Jersey and "geeks who aren't white" you will love this book.

Diaz is currently a tenured professor in the humanities at M.I.T. and is the first U.S. Latino author to win a Pulitzer Prize in Fiction in nearly 20 years and only the second ever.

2 comments:

Ron Buckmire said...

Junot Diaz responded to my email congratulating him! He seems like a cool guy--he must have received adeluge of email--maybe mine was just one of the early ones.

BeefingFraeulein said...

This is really cool. I skimmed over the Pulitzer list with zero expectation of familiarity and wow! there was Junot.

I'm lucky to have found this blog (via Craig Hickman) because I was thinking, "This is really cool. Where is the press for Junot, you know?....crickets even on amazon.com"

The funny thing is, I was looking online for his email address to congratulate him as well. I'm glad that you got through!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin