Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fidel Castro Is No Longer President of Cuba

Ever since Mad Professah visited Cuba two years ago for two weeks I have been interested in the island nation and a strong advocate of ending the mindless American embargo. One of the reasons I am supporting Barack Obama for president is that he shares my position while his opponent would basically continue the current failed policy. Yesterday it was announced that 81-year-old Fidel Castro has stepped down as President and Commander in Chief of Cuba. In a letter which originally appeared in Granma (the official newspaper of the Communist Part of Cuba) and also in today's New York Times, Castro wrote:
[...]

To my dearest compatriots, who have recently honored me so much by electing me a member of the Parliament where so many agreements should be adopted of utmost importance to the destiny of our Revolution, I am saying that I will neither aspire to nor accept, I repeat, I will neither aspire to nor accept the positions of President of the State Council and Commander in Chief.

[...]

The path will always be difficult and require from everyone's intelligent effort ... The adversary to be defeated is extremely strong; however, we have been able to keep it at bay for half a century.

This is not my farewell to you. My only wish is to fight as a soldier in the battle of ideas. I shall continue to write under the heading of 'Reflections by comrade Fidel.' It will be just another weapon you can count on. Perhaps my voice will be heard. I shall be careful.

Thanks.

Fidel Castro Ruz


The reaction in Miami's Little Havana has been muted. The Cuban Legislature will meet this weekend to select a new President, which is expected to be Fidel's brother, Raul.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin