Monday, December 14, 2009

Syfy Renews 'Stargate Universe' For 2nd Season


MadProfessah is a big fan of science fiction in general, and although I was somewhat agnostic about the television series Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate: SG-1, they were in my DVR and so is the latest version of the NBC Universal franchise: Stargate Universe. Thus I am happy at the news that it has been renewed for a second season, half-way through its first.

Apparently ratings have been good, averaging 2.6 million views (including 7-day DVR views).

And at Hollywood Reporter, there are interesting tidbits on what we can expect to see when the first season resumes on April 2.
With a fall-finale cliffhanger that left the ethically compromised Dr. Rush (Robert Carlyle) stranded on a planet, [executive producer Robert] Cooper said the season's second half will become more serialized and build on the fractures within the show's group of spaceship-trapped castaways.

"The implications of leaving Rush on the planet, the real division that will cause amongst the crew, the judgment of those characters and their actions are going to have a big impact on the show," Cooper said. "We have a lot of things planned for the second half of the season."

The show also plans to have more scenes set on the ship, as opposed to cutting back to drama on Earth, and will introduce a full-bodied alien.

"There is a big story point coming up that does introduce an alien race," Cooper said. "It's more along the line of a "District 9"-type alien. Our interaction is handled in a very "Universe" way; they're not the typical "Stargate" alien bad guys."
Interesting. I loved the alien from District 9. Popular sci-fi author and blogger John Scalzi is a creative consultant on the show, and alerted me to its renewal.

1 comment:

Kyle Leach said...

Ron, I'm glad you did a review of this series. I liked both of the others in the franchise, but wasn't sure how I would feel about this one, based on other reviews. My gut said yes, reviews said no. I'd trust your discerning taste any day. I'll give it a try.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin