Saturday, September 15, 2012

OUTRAGE: Man Serves Jail Time For Gay SMS


The guy in the picture is from Cameroon, where "homosexual behavior" is illegal. His name is Roger Jean-Claude Mbédé and he has already served one year in jail of a 3-year sentence that he received for sending an SMS containing the text written on the sign he is holding: "I'm very much in love w/ u."

That was ruled to be illegal under Cameroon law and he was thrown in jail! Apparently there is a widely circulating petition trying to convince the government to overturn the previous sentence and let Roger out of jail at a hearing scheduled for Monday September 17th.
"I found myself in handcuffs being treated like a criminal. I spent a week after I was arrested being tortured and insulted every day," explained Roger. "Now, my family says I'm dangerous and they can not live with a homosexual. Cameroonians know who I am now. I don't know how I will even be able to go back to school and get a job."

"We're seeing more and more young people, like Roger, whose lives are destroyed because they're accused of the ‘crime’ of homosexuality. Because Roger's decided not to hide who he is, he's faced extreme violence and even death threats," said Alice N’kom, a Cameroonian attorney renowned for her support for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Cameroon. "These homophobic laws must be repealed, as soon as possible."
This kind of case absolutely incenses me! Please sign the petition!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin