Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Pregnant Husband

I am surprised this story is not getting more attention. A transgender female-to-male who is married to his female spouse in Oregon has decided to carry the couple's child. So far I only see that The Advocate and Bilerico have had articles on the decision of Thomas Beatie to get pregnant.



The picture to the left is quite incredible.



The money quote is from Beatie himself:

How does it feel to be a pregnant man? Incredible. Despite the fact that my
belly is growing with a new life inside me, I am stable and confident being the
man that I am. In a technical sense I see myself as my own surrogate, though my
gender identity as male is constant. To Nancy, I am her husband carrying our
child—I am so lucky to have such a loving, supportive wife. I will be my
daughter’s father, and Nancy will be her mother. We will be a family.


Outside the local medical community, people don’t know I’m five months’ pregnant. But our situation ultimately will ask everyone to embrace the gamut of human possibility and to define for themselves what is normal.

Indeed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin