Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Federer Comes Back To Beat Sampras

Monday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City 26-year old World #1 Roger Federer beat 36-year-old 14-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras 6-3, 6-7(4) 7-6(6) at an exhibition match played in front of 19,000 people. Or as the Wall Street Journal's Daily Fix put it: "Federer celebrates barely beating a retired player 10 years older than him." OUCH.

Mad Professah watched the match and looked to me like Federer was mostly taking it easy and basically just relaxed when he was up 2-0 in the third set. He then preceded to lose 5 games in a row as Sampras shook off the rust and proceeded to dominate the youngster with his serve and volley game. However, despite being 2 points away from the match times, Sampras was not able to get a match point and close it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to call up TimeWarner Cable to even be able to see the match as it was blacked out, even though I had watched Tennis Channel the day before. What was up with that?
Then they finally turned it on, and I got to see much of the match, yet it was so disappointing that I should not have wasted the effort. Any top 10 player today would have defeated either of them based on what I saw last night. Minimal quality tennis and mucho quality entertainment for the 19,000 fans.
Booooo!

Anonymous said...

I loved it, but, then again, I'm a huge Pete fan, and, Roger as well. This one was more serious than the one in Malaysia I thought, plus, its just for fun, although, I think both took it very serious.

My only gripe was that annoying Ted guy who ruins the US Open every single year yapping like he's nuts. The only other thing that could have made it annoying was Tracy Austin, LOL!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin