Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Head of British Petroleum Resigns Over Perjury and Male Palimony Scandal

365gay.com alerts me to the story of the resignation of Lord John Browne of Madingley, the former chief executive officer of corporate behemoth British Petroleum, in the wake of a scandal involving Lord Browne's lying to a court to prevent knowledge of his intimate relationship with another gay man named Jeff Chevalier from being printed in the British tabloid The Mail on Sunday. Towleroad and has excellent coverage of the story as well. Pink News and The London Times also reports:

The multi-millionaire businessman told the court that he had met Mr Chevalier while exercising in Battersea Park, but later admitted that was a lie.

[...]

"My initial witness statements, however, contained an untruthful account about how I first met Jeff.

"This account, prompted by my embarrassment and shock at the revelations, is a matter of deep regret. It was retracted and corrected.

"I have apologised unreservedly, and do so again today.

[...]

"I shall not be commenting on my personal issues further. I wish to pursue my personal life in private."


It is doubtful that in light of British tabloid doggedness that he will get away with not having to say anything further on the topic. Joe.My.God asks whether this is "the most expensive outing ever" since Lord Browne will forfeit as much as $31 million dollars (£15 million) due to the executive's earlier than expected retirement. However others are questioning the $10 million dollar "golden parachute" that Lord Browne will receive from the oil giant.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin